Saturday, February 11, 2012

Oxford Comma and Quotation Marks


I finally bothered to look up what an oxford comma is: it's that last comma before the 'and' in a series of listed items. "For lunch I had a sandwich, salad, (oxford comma!) and coffee." I think I read somewhere that it's optional, but I'm sticking with it. On the other hand, I can't stand that silly rule that punctuation marks must always go inside quotation marks! I don't ever have to turn in a paper again, so I'm doing away with that rule. How is it that such a nonsensical (at least in my opinion) rule is still in place? What if you're repeating someone's words to them as a way of seeking explanation? As in: "What do you mean 'I can't find Penny'?" If I had put that question mark in front of that quotation mark, it'd be as though the other person was asking the question, "I can't find Penny?" See what I mean? Maybe I'm not making any sense at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment