Saturday, February 11, 2012

Dating Conundrum

[Ann] 
christine, i don't get this whole "going on dates" business
like...are you supposed to flirt? or just be yourself?
i guess some people are naturally flirty.
[me]
no, i totally understand the conundrum
i was wondering that too after my blind date a while back
i treated that date as if i were making a friend
[Ann]
i knooow!
[me]
and had i been attracted to the guy, i would've regretted it
but i guess if you want the guy, you have to flirt?
[Ann]
like i wonder if that gives the other person the impression that i'm not interested at all
[me]
you're asking the wrong person, girlfriend!

I still don't know the answer to this conundrum. I'm just a friendly person, and flirting isn't necessarily easy for me. Is it possible to flirt in a friendly, casual way? I would make myself cringe if I actually followed the advice I see in magazines (playfully touch the guy's forearm to show him your interest, give him a coquettish look from under your eyelashes, etc). I want to be friendly and make light conversation to put the guy at ease, but is that sending the message that I'm not that interested? Does he expect me to be more nervous and shy? What's a girl to do? I think my guy friends would be uncomfortable if I asked them...

2 comments:

  1. I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about dating. And, it makes me uncomfortable. And etc, etc. BUT, I think that if you don't want to flirt you can still show him you are interested by being attentive and responsive in the conversation. If you want him to know you are interested as more than friends, dress appropriately for the message :) ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently being attentive and responsive during conversation (which I am naturally) isn't enough, but I think you're onto something with the dressing part. Emma, do you really want me to dress skimpily on my first date?

    ReplyDelete